Beerschot didn't succeed in extending their "six wins in a row"-run into the new year on Sunday afternoon. In an eventful match and after a couple of errors in our defence Deinze scored twice in the first half. Beerschot fought back to 2-2 in the last quarter of the game thanks to two goals from Thibo Baeten but eventually were beaten in added on time. It was our first defeat since the end of October. 

Our captain Ryan Sanusi missed his first game of the season through suspension; his inspiritational role in midfield was taken over by Ilias Sebaoui while Jan Van den Bergh wore the captain's armband.

The game started slow with hardly any chances of threats. Only Konstantopoulos came close with a good header from a long Van den Bergh throw in, but Miras saved. And on the other side of the pitch also Lathouwers was sollicitated once with a low shot from the edge of the box. 

Just before the half hour the home side took the lead after our defence reacted both late and sloppy on an outswinging cross from Almenara, giving Staelens the opportunity to easily head home from close range. Our Mannekes were shocked but reacted well with a shot from Verlinden that zoomed narrowly wide. It was Deinze however that doubled the score on the brink of half time... after a bad taken Beerschot corner. A "balloon ball" from Matthys resulted in a quick and efficient counter attack and again it was Staelens who put the ball in the net at the far post. Two-nil down at half time. It proved to be an uphill struggle in the second half.

After the break Deinze were leaning back happily throwing the initiative in Beerschot's lap. Our build up and combination play however were too slow and too predictable to create good scoring opportunities. Only Thorisson threatened with a dangerous low shot... until the last quarter of aan hour when Thibo Baeten showed his opportunism by scoring two goals on the trot. His first a drive from 16 metres that ended up in the low right corner of the goal; his second from the penalty spot after he was fouled. Before that double trike Deinze had come very close to a third goal with opportunities from Staelens again and Balaj that would have put the game behind Beerschot's reach.

It still ended all sour for our Mannekes though in added on time when Dansoko was given space to tip in a low cross for the home team's third goal and a 3-2 win. Three points for Deinze and a first defeat for Beerschot since October 2022.

REFEREE: Bourdeaud'Hui
GOALS: 27' Staelens 1-0, 45' Staelens 2-0, 72' Baeten 2-1, 86' Baeten 2-2 (penalty), 90+1' Dansoko 3-2
DEINZE: Miras, De Ridder, Staelens (76' Schryvers), De Belder (64' Balaj), Hendrickx, Prychynenko, Dansoko, Janssens, Van Landschoot, Schuermans, Almenara
BEERSCHOT: Lathouwers, Seydoux (56' Koshi), Konstantopoulos, Matthys, Van den Bergh, Nzita (74' Meisl), Rigo, Sebaoui, Verlinden (56' Alhassan), Baeten, Thorisson
YELLOW CARDS: Nzita, Matthys, Dansoko

By Danny Geerts
Photo: Jan Mees


Jupiler Pro League

1 K. Beerschot V.A. 50 pts
2 SK Lommel 48 pts
3 K.M.S.K Deinze 46 pts
4 F.C.V. Dender E.H 45 pts
5 Patro Eisden Maasmechelen 43 pts